Moving can be a stressful experience, especially if it’s your first big move. Luckily for you, we have a list of tips to make the moving process easier.
- Before you start packing, estimate how many supplies you will need (boxes, tape, packing paper, etc), so you don’t have to make multiple trips to the store in the middle of packing your things.
- Clearly label all your boxes for what room they will go in. When it comes time to unpack, it can be frustrating if your boxes aren’t clearly labeled. Knowing the contents of each box can smooth the process when deciding where to unpack them. Be sure to mark boxes containing fragile items to ensure you don’t break precious objects.
- Start packing and preparing for the move as early as possible so you can avoid leaving everything to the last minute. Beginning the process sooner can help create a less stressful moving day.
- If you decide to hire a moving company, do your research and hire in advance to ensure you get the best experience for an affordable price.
- Prepare a box of essentials that contains your necessities – medication, electronics, toiletries, etc. - that you will need right when you move in before you have a chance to completely unpack. This way, you will have the supplies you need for your first night in your new home without unpacking every box.
- Don’t overfill your boxes; when you do this, you run the risk of the box breaking open from the bottom, only adding more stress to the process.
- Don’t stay up too late the night before your move. You’ll need as much energy as you can get on move-in day, so it’s best to go to bed early to get some extra hours of sleep in.
- When looking to hire a moving company, don’t just focus on who has the lowest price in your area. It’s crucial to read reviews to see if they offer good quality service that will give you a good experience.
- Don’t forget to add packing paper or bubble wrap to boxes that will hold fragile items like glasses or dishes.
- Don’t start packing/unpacking without a plan/timeline; this can leave you feeling flustered with where to start and how to be most efficient.